The Department of Civil Engineering has been started at MITE in the year 2012. The Department focuses on the overall development of the students through innovative teaching and learning. One of the main objectives of the Department is to produce qualified, competent and employable civil engineering graduates to cater the needs of industry and society by imparting requisite knowledge and training in different areas of Civil Engineering and emerging technologies. The department has highly qualified faculty. The students from different parts of the country are studying in the branch. Some of the labs which have been established under the department are Surveying, Basic Material testing Lab and Fluid Mechanics Lab. Computer Aided Design Lab, Geotechnical Lab, Environmental Lab, Concrete and Highway Lab and Structural Engineering Laboratory.MITE – Local CAFET INNOVA Technical Society Centre is started under the Department of Civil Engineering in association with CAFET-INNOVA Technical Society, Hyderabad. It is an International non-profit organization to encourage the teaching faculties, young talent especially students towards the field of Research & Development (R&D) and harness their intellectual abilities for the betterment of institution as well as industry.
To produce competent and professional civil engineers with academic excellence and ethics to meet societal challenges at global level
1. To provide quality technical education through student centric teaching – learning processes
2. To enable student with practical knowledge, innovation and research to find solutions for societal problems
3. To impart professional skills and ethics to involve in consultancy and civil engineering projects
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEO’S)
1. Able to apply the knowledge of Engineering to solve construction related problems and involve in research activities
2. Able to Plan, design and execute the societal applications of Civil engineering
3. To Involve effectively as a member or as a leader towards achieving goals in Civil engineering projects
4. To Engage in professional consultancy and continuous learning to accomplish professional growth
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSO’S)
By the completion of Civil engineering program, graduates are able to
1.Utilize the Civil engineering knowledge and problem analysis skills to conceptualize, develop, and execute the civil engineering projects
2. Deploying quality Civil Engineers to work towards societal needs to achieve environmental and sustainable development
PROGRAM OUTCOMES (PO’S)
The graduates of the Computer Science and Engineering department will be able to
1. Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions
5. Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments
12. Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change
RESEARCH IN CIVIL ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT
Research Centre at Department of Civil engineering is recognized by Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum. The research center emphasis on research under various areas of specialization that include Experimental, computational and statistical approach to study characteristic properties of polymer matrix composites has separate laboratories catering to the needs of both the regular course work and research works at different levels.
A Research Project entitled ” Experimental, computational and statistical approach to study characteristic properties of polymer matrix composites ” submitted by Dr. G. L. Easwara Prasad, Professor, Department of Civil Engineering has been approved under VTU research grant scheme.
Another research Project Proposal entitled “Sustainable Grey water Management System using Phytoremediation Technique” submitted by Dr. Jayaprakash M C, Sr. Assistant professor, Department of Civil Engineering has been approved under Research Grant for Scientist/Faculty Scheme, Vision Group on Science and Technology (VGST), Government of Karnataka
Association Civil Engineering Students (ACES) is being initiated under the flagship of Department of Civil Engineering, Mangalore Institute of Technology & Engineering, Moodbidri, INDIA; Association Civil Engineering Students (ACES) is a non-profit forum which was established in 2013 with a strength of 60 students, now it’s become around 360 students. ACES is committed to contribute various guest lecturers across the world and various activities like State/national/international conferences and Workshops. The association also encouraging to participate in technical paper presentation, technical tour, cultural, yoga, sports and other various activities for the benefit of the students group of Department of Civil Engineering. The ACES believes that the true research potential of students can be realized by encouraging them to participate in research and acknowledging their achievements.
Dr. Ganesh Mogaveer
Professor & Head, Department of Civil Engineering
Mangalore Institute of Technology and Engineering
Badaga Mijaar, Moodbidri-574 225, D.K (D), Karnataka (S), INDIA
Mobile: +91 9448983955/9591843955