Mangalore Institute of Technology and Engineering (MITE) will soon establish a Nano-science and Technology Research Centre (NTRC) on its premises in Moodbidri. MITE will be the first institution to set up such a centre in the undivided Dakshina Kannada district. The new research centre will be established under the guidance of Richard Pinto, professor in electrical engineering, Indian Institute of Technology – Bombay.
The construction works of NTRC, at an area of 22,000 square feet, has begun and it is expected to be completed by January 2014. The centre will have all necessary equipment at a cost of Rs 20 crore. This will be second NTRC in the state. The first one is situated in Bangalore, apart from one institute in Bangalore, this would be only NTRC in the state.
- To create, establish and sustain a Nano Science and Technology Centre at MITE
- A truly multidisciplinary character involving departments of physics, chemistry, electronics & communication engineering and mechanical engineering for research & development in both conventional and nano-materials, thin films and device applications, To create an experimental infrastructure, faculty- student impact, and a high quality of scientific and technological output, among the best in the country and the world in the First Five Years.
AIM AND SCOPE
- Conventional and new materials would be synthesized and studied.
- New materials would be synthesized in the nanometer dimensions and their new properties would be studied.
- While evaporation and sputtering would be used for thin films of some materials, pulsed laser deposition (PLD) technique which has great advantages, would be used for realizing thin films of complex materials. Emphasis would be to realize near-epitaxial / highly oriented thin films of complex materials as they would be highly desirable for device work.
- Techniques would be established to synthesize new materials in nanometer dimensions.
- A basic materials and thin films characterization laboratory would be established.
- A basic lithographic laboratory would be established in a class 1000 clean room.
- A device-structure laboratory for fabrication of basic devices for proof-of-concept work would be established in class 1000 clean room.
- A device / structure measurement laboratory would be established.
- A device simulation laboratory would be also be established.
The Center will have
Simulation Lab Materials Synthesis Lab Materials/ Structural/ Thin Film characterization Lab Thin Film growth LabLithography and Device Structural Lab Device Structure measurement Lab